Cities, social cohesion and the environment
PowerPoint presentation of the main ideas
The following PowerPoint presentation will provide you with an overview of the main ideas of this topic.
Download this presentation in pdf format.
Find out more!
This paper focuses on the link between cities, social cohesion and the environment, reviewing the main theories/approaches addressing this link.
Because cities are alive places (they have flora and fauna, produce pollution, have more or less green spaces, etc.), and depending on how these environmental issues are dealt with, the city will be more or less inclusive in socio-environmental terms.
1. Revision of the first theories (19th and 20th century) and recent ones approaching the link between cities, social cohesion and the environment:
- Antecedents to urban sustainability: Engels, Marx, Chicago School and others
- Approaches in recent research
2. Identification of areas that need further research:
- Socio-ecological circulation of urban metabolisms: Hybrid natures and Cyborg cities
- Neo-liberalising urban environments
- Urban socio-ecological movements and the struggles for justice
- Urban socio-ecological imaginaries: the discourses of urban natures
Problems with any word? Check our glossary!