Towards a research agenda on Governance, Citizenship and Social Cohesion in Cities
PowerPoint presentation of the main ideas
The following PowerPoint presentation will provide you with an overview of the main ideas of this topic.
Download this presentation in pdf format.
Find out more!
This paper focuses on the debates on governance, social cohesion and citizenship practices developed at both urban research and policy discourses. The paper puts special emphasis on the different approaches to governance as well as to new participative democracy practices developed in cities. The paper also highlights the importance of the emergence of multi-scalar decision making processes and the consequences it has on both governance practices and social cohesion in cities.
1. Governance and the transformation of the state
- Restructuring of the statehood
- Multi-scalar dimension of governance
- Increasing role of new agencies in the provision of welfare service
- Externalisation of social service provision
- Territorial dimension of governance
- Learning cities
2. Governance and social cohesion
3. Governance and citizenship practices
- Social, associational and urban citizenship
- Marshall theory on citizenship vs current broader approaches
- Coexistence of several types of citizenship
4. Participatory governance, new practices fostering democracy and socially creative strategies
- The two-faced nature of governance beyond the state
- Participatory methodologies
- Civil society and governance dynamics
- Bottom linked socially creative strategies
Problems with any word? Check our glossary!